CULTURE
The quality in a person or society that arises from a concern for what is regarded as excellent in arts, letters, manners, scholarly pursuits, etc; The behaviors and beliefs characteristic of a particular social, ethnic, or age group.
Me being both a woman and an African American, I guess I represent two cultures. Both in which I have different stereotypes hanging over my head. That in itself puts me two steps behind other people in my future career field, especially white males. These are the individuals who are looked at as the “pharaohs” of the workplace, while we’re the little “Ethiopian slaves” who are given the task of helping them build their empire. We are the ones who work our asses off but, because they have that title, they get the pat on the back. I am not trying sound like an extreme feminist who hate all men but, these are the facts! And there are men who actually work hard to get to those positions but, let’s be honest! White MEN are chosen first! After that, are the other races of MEN. Then! Women are considered. Why is that? Women aren’t weak and that’s a proven fact. Women make the world go round, without us men are nothing! Everybody knows the saying, “behind every great man, is a strong woman…” That’s because we have the power, we hold the key! And only women have it… You know what it is, and no man can deny this claim……………………………………………………….. Right guys? No, but seriously, that is what has encouraged me. Knowing that I have so many odds against me makes me want it more. And I will get it!
Just a sidebar... I know some may think I’m a little… well… I don’t know… I just know I have very strong views on certain things and I try and let it be known. I got some feedback about my previous blog referring to the homeless people I mentioned. I would like to clear up that I’m not a homeless people, man hating witch. It was just a thought, I give to the homeless and I do charity work. The things that were said were simply thoughts, nothing more. Even though, I do appreciate everyone’s opinion. Can’t wait to see the comments on this one!
The quality in a person or society that arises from a concern for what is regarded as excellent in arts, letters, manners, scholarly pursuits, etc; The behaviors and beliefs characteristic of a particular social, ethnic, or age group.
Me being both a woman and an African American, I guess I represent two cultures. Both in which I have different stereotypes hanging over my head. That in itself puts me two steps behind other people in my future career field, especially white males. These are the individuals who are looked at as the “pharaohs” of the workplace, while we’re the little “Ethiopian slaves” who are given the task of helping them build their empire. We are the ones who work our asses off but, because they have that title, they get the pat on the back. I am not trying sound like an extreme feminist who hate all men but, these are the facts! And there are men who actually work hard to get to those positions but, let’s be honest! White MEN are chosen first! After that, are the other races of MEN. Then! Women are considered. Why is that? Women aren’t weak and that’s a proven fact. Women make the world go round, without us men are nothing! Everybody knows the saying, “behind every great man, is a strong woman…” That’s because we have the power, we hold the key! And only women have it… You know what it is, and no man can deny this claim……………………………………………………….. Right guys? No, but seriously, that is what has encouraged me. Knowing that I have so many odds against me makes me want it more. And I will get it!
Just a sidebar... I know some may think I’m a little… well… I don’t know… I just know I have very strong views on certain things and I try and let it be known. I got some feedback about my previous blog referring to the homeless people I mentioned. I would like to clear up that I’m not a homeless people, man hating witch. It was just a thought, I give to the homeless and I do charity work. The things that were said were simply thoughts, nothing more. Even though, I do appreciate everyone’s opinion. Can’t wait to see the comments on this one!

I really enjoyed reading your blog. I Love your use of language and word choice. This blog was so powerful! I absolutly agree with you on this topic. I was impressed at how you said its the doubt encourages you. That is comething i can strongly relate to! That is such a powerful motivator and I can tell you have alot of passion for what you believe! Great job with your writing , you really capture the reader!
ReplyDeleteAll of us are victims of stereotypes. I am a white man, but I'm not a native to this country. Do you think I have advantages over other races or women? Back in the day when I moved to US I was at the bottom of this society, struggling to make living. But the desire in succeeding and hard work brought me to where I am right now. This is the land of opportunities, open your eyes and forget that you’re African American, that you’re a woman. I believe everyone can succeed, just have to work on it hard.
ReplyDelete